• Distributing 200 Gloves, 32 bottles of hand sanitizer, and 130 face masks to 32 Community Lodgings families who live at New Brookside. New Brookside requires everyone who enters the building to wear a mask.
• Distributing $1,500 in $50 Visa Gift cards to 30 families who completed the US Census thanks to a grant from ACT for Alexandria.
• Distributing over 192 loaves of bread, thanks to Great Harvest Bread.
• Distributing 56 boxes of fresh produce/dairy boxes to 41 families.
• Providing breakfast once a month on Saturdays for kids who are food insecure and supporting local businesses such as Al’s Steakhouse.
• Partnering with Toppers Pizza to deliver pizza to 16 middle and high school students who made honor roll or showed improvement on their 3rd quarter report cards. Toppers even added a special congratulatory note from Community Lodgings with each pizza.
• Teaming with Neighborhood Health to provide 104 free COVID-19 tests for neighborhood families. Arlandria has been identified as a hot spot. This was a joint effort to get this much-needed service in the community.
• Assisting non-English speaking families with applying for rental assistance and food stamps.
Additionally, we thank ACPS for providing school supplies, arts and crafts materials, books, STEM kits, and physical education equipment to the 142 students enrolled in our after-school program. We also thank our bi-lingual volunteers who helped our staff contact all families to ascertain individual family needs.
The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting the lives of many around the world. Within our own community, families are suffering from unemployment, lack of resources, and health concerns. To take a closer look at how our Transitional Housing Program participants are coping with the effects of COVID-19, we asked them to share their personal stories. As […]
Lynn Thomas of Community Lodgings and Shannon Steene of Carpenter’s Shelter discuss homelessness and housing with in the second of five ACT Now Tuesday Talks produced by ACT for Alexandria. At 12:00 p.m. ET on May 19, June 2, June 16 and June 30, we’re talking to beneficiaries of the ACT Now COVID-19 Response Fund and […]